Self Rescue Level 2
- Varighed: 2 Dage (Ca.)
- Sted: Blackheath, New South Wales
- Produkt kode: SR2 SelfRescue2
Dive in to this course to find out how to assist others when things don’t go as planned in vertical environments.
At the end of the course you will be able to:
- Help your climbing partner safely ascend or descend using a variety of belays and hauls
- Solve a variety of problems without ever leaving your belay post
- Move loads vertically with minimal effort
- Recognise, prevent, respond to and solve the most common abseiling and climbing problems that require rescue of others.
- 2 days
- Personal attention (max 6 participants per instructor)
- Minimum 2 participants
- All required equipment provided including ropes, helmet, harness, climbing shoes, belay devices and carabiners. Along with prussiks, slings and a variety of other software and hardware.
- Meet at 8am in Blackheath, Blue Mountains
- This course is a great stepping stone to a Trad or Multipitch Climbing course.
Day 1 begins with an introduction to safeguarding other climbers and abseilers with a "top rope top belay" system. This progresses quickly to techniques for moving these climbers and abseilers vertically using simple hauling systems.
- Revision of pre course notes and pre course quiz
- Basic belaying/safety assessment
- Refresher of Self Rescue Level 1
- Lowering climbers from above
- Basic hauls and application of mechanical advantage
- Raising climbers safely and efficiently
- Planning belays to facilitate rescue
Today we look at more complex applications of the skills introduced on day 1, how to assess the system that protects us and more.
- Rescues without going to another climber
- Rescues that require leaving the belay
- Safe & efficient escape from the belay in a rescue situation
- In depth look at auto-locking and other specialist devices
- When every bit counts: maximising efficiency and minimising effort
Before the course starts we’ll send you some pre-course notes. Read your notes carefully for this course to make sure you're up to speed. The pre-reading is essential to ensure that you get the most out of your time on the cliff.
Topics covered include:
- How to calculate mechanical advantage
- Appropriate equipment selection
- Understanding equipment limitations
- More essential knots and hitches
- A review of the key safety checks
- Communication and climbing calls for rescues
Throughout the course your instructor will give you personalised instruction on developing your skills and technique, covering areas such as:
- Minimising effort when hauling
- Optimal application of equipment
- Dispel common myths related to movement on rope
- Other useful applications of skills covered in the course
- Recommended next steps and skills to practice after the course
All of our courses cover:
- Basic principles of cliff edge safety
- Development of climbing technique
- Climbing ethics
- Caring for the cliff environment
1. Self Rescue Level 1 or evidence of equivalency
2. While this course has no other specific requirements, we take the time to talk to all of the participants prior to the course to ensure that they are at an appropriate skill level before joining. We'll ask you about your experience, interests, abilities and aspirations to make sure that the course is right for you.